Cividale del Friuli Unesco World Heritage

English

The area of Cividale del Friuli was already settled in prehistoric times, according to the archaeological finds dating back to the Palaeolithic and Iron Age.
Starting from the 4th Century, the area was occupied by Paleo-Veneti and later by Celts.
Julius Caesar founded the town in 50 BC approximately with the name of Forum Iulii, from which the name Friuli comes.
In 568 AC, Cividale became the capital of the first Lombard Dukedom in Italy. The patriarchs of Aquileia resided here during the Lombard Dukedom and the subsequent Frankishdomination under Charlemagne (since 774). Between the late 8th Century and the early 9th Century, the town changed its name to Civitas Austriae (City of the East), from which Cividale derives its name.
In 1077 Cividale was the capital of the Patriarchal State of Friuli and in 1420 the town was annexed to the Republic of Venice.
In 1797 the town was ceded to the Hapsburg Empire soon after the Treaty of Campoformido between Napoleon and Austria. In 1866, after the Third Italian War of Independence, the town was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy with Veneto and Friuli.
It was occupied by the Austrians during World War I and, at the end of the War of Liberation following World War II, the town was awarded the Silver Medal of Military Valour.

Take a virtual tour of the town or view it through the panoramic Web-cam

Monuments and important historic buildings

Would you like to visit the town with a tour guide? Choose the guided tours offered by Turismo FVG - free to FVG Card holders

img_ricerca

Lombard Temple and Monastery of S. Maria della Valle

This is a wonderful example of architecture from the early Middle Ages. It was declared Human Heritage Site in 2011 as part of the group “Italia Longobardorum”.
Virtual tour of Tempietto Longobardo
Opening hours / Admission prices / Finding us - Free to FVG Card holders

Christian Museum and Treasure of the Cathedral

It hosts the Lombard Heritage, comprising the Ratchis Altar and the Baptistery of Callisto and the Treasure of the Cathedral, where jewellery, liturgical objects, paintings and sculptures, manuscripts, codices and paraments are exhibited.
Opening hours / Admission prices / Finding us - Free to FVG Card holders

Celtic Hypogeum

This underground site was carved out of a natural cavity along the right rocky bank of the Natisone river. This Pre-Roman site might have had a funerary function in the Celtic Age and it might have been used as a prison in the Roman and Lombard Age.
Opening hours / Admission prices / Finding us

Devil’s Bridge

The Devil’s Bridge is one of the main symbols of Cividale del Friuli. Wreathed in legend, it is daringly suspended above the Natisone river...
Virtual tour of the Devil’s Bridge

 

National archaeological museum

It hosts the Lombard Exhibition and fragments of gravestones from the Roman, early Byzantine, early medieval and Romanesque period.

 

Canussio Castle

This complex building, which results from the stratification of elements dating back to different periods in history, features several staggered towers with battlements.
Opening hours / Admission prices / Finding us
 

Medieval House

It is the “oldest house of Cividale”, also called “goldsmith’s house”. The house, which dates back to the second half of the 14th Century, was once a goldsmith’s workshop.

 

Download the map of Cividale del Friuli